- A system- a system is a collection of entities that work together of achieve a common goal
- A computer system-is a collection of entities (hardware, software, liveware, and firmware) that work together to receive process, manage and present information in a meaningful format.
- Liveware- can also be termed as wetware and greyware. This word is used to describe a computer user.
- Hardware- this is the tangible parts of a computer i.e. keyboard, mouse, CPU, monitor etc
- Software- can be described as computer programs or this is the intangible parts of a computer i.e. computer programs etc
- Firmware- these are manufacturer’s
settings though, can be classified under software i.e. programs in ROM
|Computer hardware Classification|
- Input devices- these are devices that convert input data from human readable form into machine readable form. or you can simply say, these are devices that enter data into the computer. Data can be classified as text data which consist of letters, numbers and symbols, graphic data which consist of diagrams, pictures, videos, clip arts, icons etc., voice data that consist of sound clips, input commands which are instructions entered mostly by pointing devices
- Human readable form is a kind of language that the user understands i.e. Kiswahili, English etc
- Machine readable form this is a language that the computer understands i.e. binary language, assembly language etc
Keying devicesthese are devices that converts typed numbers, letters and special characters into machine readable form examples: keyboard and keypad. These devices usually enter text data and command input into the computer examples:
- Keyboard- this is the most commonly used keying method with desktop and laptop computers. such as:traditional keyboard, flexible keyboard, ergonomic, wireless etc
- Keypad- this is a small keyboard used with hand held devices i.e. cell phones, calculators, notebooks etc
|Classification of the keyboard|